Monday, August 19, 2013

Update - New Beginnings

In February, I made the difficult decision to switch teams at PATH from the WASH team to the Reproductive Health team.  The decision was precipitated by a number of uncertainties and difficulties within the WASH team, not the least of which was the lack of funding.  With the help of my super supportive supervisor, I was able to identify two promising options for teams at PATH which could potentially benefit from my skill set and expertise.  After carefully considering both options and consulting a number of old colleagues and friends, I decided to pursue the opportunity with the Reproductive Health team.   The Reproductive Health Global Program at PATH is solid and well-established.  The work ranges from the cervical cancer prevention, to breast cancer research, to the development of new, more acceptable methods of family planning, to advocacy for safe abortion.  After working 100% with team for the last 6 months I am happy to report it was a really good switch for me. 


I think my biggest concern/hesitation of making a topical switch was wondering if I would be as passionate about Reproductive Health issues as I am about water and sanitation.  After spending nearly a decade in WASH and pouring a good amount of my heart and soul into that work, would I be as excited within this new position?!  As I debated this, I thought about how lucky I am to have spent nearly the last 20 years of my life avoiding unintended pregnancy by having easy and cost-effective access to a variety of family planning options at more or less the drop of a hat AND in the near absence of oppressive stigma.  And then I thought about women in developing countries that I have worked in and I thought about how their choice, options, and means of obtaining contraception must be severely constrained.  Not to mention access to preventative cancer screening such as the ye ol’ dreaded pap smear that I now feel we TOTALLY take for granted.  Needless, to say the new team has opened up my eyes to a wide-array of public health issues in global reproductive health.  I feel happy and reinvigorated in the new position and am happy to report the team dynamics have also improved dramatically.  Suffice it to say, Liz Blanton is much happier in the RH group and you know when I say it in the 3rd person I really mean it.    More about the current trip soon...